Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Bean Eaters

Another of Gwendolyn Brooks' poems which I also enjoyed is, "The Bean Eaters", which is about an old, simple couple who lived a good life, but did not have too much money. I actually learned something new after having read and discussed this poem. I'd never known that beans were very inexpensive, and in this poem, that is how the author shows us that this couple ate low-priced food, meaning they did not have money for other types of good food. This couple also used cheap plates and such. What I did like about the poem is that it truly shows that no matter how wealthy or impoverished people are, you could still have happiness. The author also mentions that they live in a rented house and how they keep a lot of their belongings in a room. This couple most probably just doesn't have much space for all their things in their little home, but they seem to be quite happy with each other.

No comments: